Designed by Bertram (Bert) King for the Rocamora family in 1959.
I4 St. Charles Place is that rare example of a mid century modern home that has not only been maintained but also meticulously preserved with the original features intact. It is being offered for sale for the first time and I recently had the unique pleasure of a tour with one of the owners. Of the many King designs I have seen, I think this is his best and I wanted to share it here.
“It was fun growing up in the house and the neighborhood” Rocamora said “and it has been the inspiration for several of my own projects.” Ronald Rice was the builder and the home took approximately a year to build. It wasn’t widely known that this was a Bert King designed home until now. Rocamora remembers King well. “He was always a very kind person and took time for all my many questions. As I look back, it was extraordinary as I was so young at the time.
Beautifully sited on a 3-acre lot with a natural wooded setting in Lakeview Park, this home feels private but is within minutes to downtown Asheville.
- A winding driveway takes you to the home.
- A flagstone walkway leads you to the entry door with side light
- Custom wooden side light window panel
- Original slate flooring
- Sunken living room
- Original recessed lighting
- Brick accent wall
- The cabinetry was custom-built on site during the 1958 construction
- Confetti mosaic tile
- Original Hotpoint electric cooktop
- Ceramic tile exhaust hood
- Original painted ceramic pendant lights over the breakfast room table
- Original hand-painted mosaic tile ceiling
- Custom built-in cabinetry and a wet bar
- Vaulted ceiling with pickled paneled wood
Brilliantly designed to connect with nature. Retractable sliding glass doors open to a screened porch with sliding screen doors that open to a covered slate patio and side garden.
- One of the first homes in Asheville to have central air conditioning
I can’t thank Lee Rocamora enough for the tour of his remarkable home- it was truly a memorable experience.
All the best for 14 St. Charles Place as it begins it’s next 60-year journey!
For more about Bert King: https://midcenturymodernasheville.com/2015/01/26/bert-king-ashevilles-mid-century-architect/