First stop on our downtown Asheville condo tour will be 12 South Lexington, probably our favorite condo project in downtown Asheville. The vision for this downtown mixed-use building was to create a quality, low-maintenance structure that respects Asheville’s architectural history. 12 South Lexington, designed by Camille-Alberice Architects was completed in 2007 and has been named to the list of architecturally successful new buildings in downtown Asheville. Overlooking Pack Square and Patton Avenue, the 7-story building includes 2 commercial spaces, 43 residential condos and 49 parking spaces.
12 South Lexington condos range in size from 626 sq. ft. studio units to 3600 sq. ft. penthouse units. There are studios, 1, 2, and 3 bedroom units with a wide variety of floor plans some featuring loft-like feel others with more traditional
- Brick and stucco exterior
- Balconies in most units
- Urban lawn: sodded rooftop terrace
- 12-foot ceilings
- European-style fixtures
- Parking in the building
- Back-up electric generator
- Underground water tank for sprinkler system
- Low association fees
- Considered a smart growth project because the site was an underutilized parking lot and not a green space.
- A great majority of the materials used in the building are recyclable:
- The steel frame for the building was manufactured from over 200 recycled automobiles.
- The steel stud framing is also manufactured from recycled steel.
- The lower roof is sodded to absorb rainwater, provide insulation and protect the inner roof membrane.
- The wood floors are primarily of bamboo, a sustainable, harvested material.
- The thermal envelope of the building exceeds the building code requirement by approximately 14%.
- Aluminum, double-paned glass windows and doors, lower the energy costs for homeowners and HOA alike and can be opened to take advantage of Asheville’s fantastic weather and reduce the need for AC.
- Parking decks under the units reduces the footprint of the building.
For more information on available listings call Carol 828-545-2712 or Kelly 828-333-8830 of Modern Living in Asheville.